Friday, March 9, 2007

Apprehension..and the Freedom to Fly

We were talking last night about our hopes and fears for the trip and I was struck by the optimism and kindness which pervades this group of people. Everyone voiced a desire to come away from this upcoming week with a sense that we actually did something useful and contribute something positive. It was wonderful to hear a group of law students sounding like public servants. This is what we're here for, but it's easy to lose sight of that in the law school milieu.

I was also struck by the incredible generosity of the people who contributed to our trip and to the people we hope to befriend and help down in New Orleans. I have never seen such an outpouring of care.

I can't predict what this week will be like, but I'm confident that the combined earnestness and goodwill of the people in this group will be sufficient to make something real happen. And I'm excited to meet the other students who will be there who feel the same.

Here's to a week of astonishing sadness and anger, but also to the great hope of what people can do for each other.

No comments: